Thursday, March 3, 2011

Some more thoughts

On my run this morning, 7:48 A.M., Lighthouse, when I got to the top of the first hill I looked across the field to the left and it was beautiful. Sunny, snowy field, there were posts in the field. I could only look at it for a brief moment though before it was gone.

Light source in my paintings-
As I am running in different directions, North, West, East, South, Northeast, Southwest, etc. the location of the sun is always changing. Rather, I am constantly changing/moving in relation to the sun. So sometimes I am looking across a field with the sun behind me. Other times the sun might be in front of me... And certainly there are runs in Central N.Y. when the sun isn't even shining.

It really is the culmination of my running experience. But these paintings aren't solely about running. It just happens to be the easiest way for me to feel most connected with my surroundings, outside. And those memories and feelings don't fully augment until after the act. Like now, 12:16 P.M. There are glimpses, brief moments that I remember, and I guess that is what I am painting.

These paintings are the experience of it all. Before (not so much), during, and after. During is when I am subjecting myself to the world, physically being there and taking everything in. The harvesting of it all if you will. Then after is when the "magic" happens. When everything that is in my head takes its course and produces something.

What is more important, the sky or land?

Neither. There wouldn't be land without sky, and there wouldn't be sky if land didn't exist. But more truthfully, they are both equally important. Although I admire the sky a bit more. I think this is because I enjoy looking upwards when I am out there. I'm more susceptible to "loose myself" in those moments. Have one of those moments where everything is....

No comments:

Post a Comment