Wednesday, March 2, 2011

"Doug Marx' Artist Wednesday

This first Wednesday of March I chose Doug Marx as the artist of choice for the bi-weekly event titled "Artist Wednesday".  Doug Marx is an artist similar to Keith Jacobshagen, being that they are both landscape painters from the Cornhusker State of Nebraska.
On his website located here, you can read about his bio.  He lacks an official "artist statement", although he does say, "So, for over twenty years now, I have painted the sunrises, the sunsets, the skies, fields, prairies and rivers that have always surrounded me and my family. I never long for what is somewhere else. Each day brings forth a new challenge to filter first through my eye, then my hand. As long as I can see and paint, I want for nothing."

What I like about his paintings is what I like about every other painting that I have discussed on here.  That is the feeling of solitude and expansiveness being depicted.  The large skies and empty fields are very quiet and uninhabited, yet they posses this feeling of something overwhelming.  








1 comment: