Thursday, January 27, 2011

Another sketch book entry

It seems as of lately my "sketch"book has become more of a "thought"book. The latest sketch in it was done today, but not by me. Tim drew a robot shooting itself in the head saying, "Sorry Mom." Its brains, which I assume to be computer chips and wires, are being blown out of its head. Anyways, I think it is okay that I have been writing more than I have been sketching lately. I mean, a big part of this thesis is talking and describing what it is I am trying to say through painting. In class the other day with Paul Parks, who I admire a lot-he is very intelligent and interesting, he was describing art, and what it is. I think he was doing this because it is more of a survey class, there are a lot of non-art majors in it. He said something along the lines of, art is a language. It is another way to say and express what one is thinking. Instead of putting it directly into words, the artist is saying it through a painting, sculpture, etc.

To get back on topic... In class today while I was waiting for Lori to come around to my space I was jotting some thoughts down. This is what I had to say:

Running is ideal, easiest? way to remember them.
So maybe the paintings are not about running per se, it is just the tool for me to remember easier. I can remember those scenes, running, walking, not really driving. But sometimes.

That one drive into Colorado.

I had driven 12 hours the day before, who knows how many that day. I had slept somewhere in Illinois or Indiana the night before, because I remember being in Iowa in the morning. It was just me in the car, I had no one to talk to. The radio was the only source of anything that I had with the outside world. I had finally reached Colorado, but still had some time before reaching Boulder. The landscape was gorgeous. It was sunny, open fields. Nothing. Nothing more miles except cattle. Driving fast, cruise control set at high 80s, maybe even 90. Straight driving.

That was probably the only time I've gotten that feeling from driving.


So what is it? I need to really start to figure it out. I don't know if I can put words on it. They are feelings.They are when I feel most connected to nature. That sounds so lame. Most connected with my surroundings. I think that might be it. When I am numb, unaware with anything else except where I am in that moment of time. Everything around me is affecting me.

That bike ride on the beach.
The air was cool, the sun was setting, the ocean's wave's were crashing down. Not too loud though, not overwhelming. Moving through the space as well. There were people around me, but I wasn't directly involved with them. The people at the edge of the sand, by their houses. Doing their own thing, the kids playing, running around and setting off fire crackers.
It was as if I was an outsider looking in.


I put in bold what I think to be the most important parts of what I wrote down today. Having said that I feel so much more comfortable talking about my paintings. In the past it seemed like I wasn't exactly sure what it was I was trying to say. I had the general idea in my head, but for some reason I wasn't able to put it into the right words.


These are the pictures that I took, describing the drive into Colorado.






No comments:

Post a Comment